Tuesday, February 16, 2010

HATIN’ on John Mayer… Because No One Should Write Checks Their “Hood Pass” Can’t Cash

This whole issue of John Mayer and his so-called racist remarks, has me profoundly HATIN' on so many levels.

If you are not in the know, here’s the back story:
In a recent interview with Playboy Magazine, John Mayer, an American Singer-songwriter, musician, mouthed-off, giving way too much information and crossing the line of appropriate when he, not so discretely dropped the N-bomb.

PLAYBOY asked: If you didn’t know you, would you think you’re a douche bag?

MAYER: “It depends on what I picked up. My two biggest hits are “Your Body Is a Wonderland” and “Daughters.” If you think those songs are pandering, then you’ll think I’m a douche bag. It’s like I come on very strong. I am a very…I’m just very. V-E-R-Y. And if you can’t handle very, then I’m a douche bag. But I think the world needs a little very. That’s why black people love me.”

PLAYBOY: Because you’re very?

MAYER: “Someone asked me the other day, “What does it feel like now to have a hood pass?” And by the way, it’s sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a nigger pass. Why are you pulling a punch and calling it a hood pass if you really have a hood pass? But I said, “I can’t really have a hood pass. I’ve never walked into a restaurant, asked for a table and been told, ‘We’re full.’”

Now, of course I will have more to say on this specific remark, but this is what really caught my eye is found later in the interview:

PLAYBOY: Do black women throw themselves at you?

MAYER: “I don't think I open myself to it. My dick is sort of like a white supremacist. I've got a Benetton heart and a fuckin' David Duke cock.”

I’m going to stop right here. I could go on further about what he said of his relationships with Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Aniston, or his dialogue regarding techniques for Masturbating 101, but I will not do that. What I’m most interested in are the race remarks and the meaning behind his words.

In grabbing excerpts and following the story, including feeds from Twitter and his Super-LAME apology, I have gained quite a perspective of Mr. Mayer, and I must say, it’s not a good one.

To me, and I may be wrong here, but his comments were completely unnecessary. Do I believe he’s a racist? No. Do I believe he is an ill-informed idiot, who should be taken off of whatever drug he is currently on, that gives him the illusion that he is a deep and in-touch human being? Undoubtedly and emphatically, YES.

There are so many issues with this entire interview, that I will attempt to layout my argument logically, as opposed to just rant. Here goes:

First, John Mayer doesn’t know how to answer a question when posed to him. At the outset of the news breaking regarding said comments, I was rallying for John Mayer. I thought and asked myself “What kind of derogatory questions were being asked that he felt he had to retort in such a manner, whether using parody/ “intellectualizing” the context of the question or not?” Then I read that all he was asked was if he thought he was a douche bag, or not. How does this equate into him having a “hood pass?” Aside from his answer being totally uncalled for, it was extremely offensive.

As for his “cock” being a racist, I think I like the best analysis of this quote by Huffingotn Post journalist, Farai Chideya, who states in her article, John Mayer's Playboy Interview: A "Tweachable Moment" in Race, Gender.

“I've interviewed white supremacists, and the punchline to this joke falls... limp. I can roll with some pretty raw or adventurous humor, but this fratboyesque ahistorical cheap shot shows a profound misunderstanding of white supremacy. Today's white supremacists may decry "miscegenation," but white supremacy resulted in an awful lot of race mixing -- the forceable kind. Mayer's father is Jewish and I wonder how much he knows or cares to about the violent history of white surpremacists towards Jews in the US and abroad.

But what I just said sounds too on-the-nose and preachy even for my own tastes. The reality is that it's insulting to say black people love you and then profoundly misunderstand the difference between entitlement and humor.”

Lastly, I am disappointed in how African Americans responded to John Mayer’s statements. I just knew there was going to be uproar in the African American community. Just like the Jews protested Mel Gibson and his movies four years ago (and even today) after he made anti-Semitic remarks while inebriated, I thought black people were going to riot. I thought that John Mayer’s African-American fanbase would revolt, burn LP’s in effigy; but alas I was mistaken. I am truly disappointed at the lack of concern or care by the black community over what he said, whether intentional or in jest. Since when do we no longer care that we are being discriminated against?

Also, where are the African-American musicians and entertainment moguls? Don’t you care that this man just verbally assaulted the very culture that made you wealthy and the very women who resemble your wives (some of you), sisters and mothers? I’m not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, I just find it terrible that no black person in the industry has said anything.

By saying nothing, we in the black community, both those who are visible in the media, and those who are not, are telling the world that this type of language is OK. That claiming because black people “like” you, you have an automatic “Hood Pass.” We’re also saying, in so many ways, that we can continue to disrespect our women.

But maybe I shouldn’t be surprised. Maybe this has been a long time coming. Maybe, just maybe, we are to blame for other races thinking poorly of ourselves. Weren’t we the ones that made African-American culture a fad, something that is cool for now but fades, as opposed to honoring our past and holding ourselves to a level of respect and dignity (at all times)? Weren’t we the ones that portrayed our women (and men) in a light that demeans them as opposed to lifting them up?

Maybe I shouldn’t HATE on John Mayer and his ignorance; Maybe I Should HATE on Us!

7 comments:

  1. I think his fans and fellow entertainers, black - white - or any race, don't care because if you really know John Mayer you'd know he's an ass who has said stupid shit like this since before he was even famous...but NOW the media decided to pay attention b/c racism is a hot topic in politics and it was a way for them to continue their story.

    Was it right? No. Does it matter? No. Because at the end of the day, not even John Mayer's fans take him seriously. It's like saying people actually care what Weird Al has to say.

    I think what's ridiculous is how the Questlove racist accusations aren't in the media. He requests a meal comprised of "stereotypical" black items (fried chicken, greens, black eye peas, etc) then cries racism when the BLACK cook actually cooked what HE requested and NBC got persecuted for it. How is that fair or right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, I thank you for your comments and would like to respond to much of what you have said.

    You are correct, John Myer has said very stupid things in the past, but none, as far as I can recall and correct me if I’m wrong, have ever included use of the N-word, spoke of having a “hood pass” or have disrespected black women, as his most recent quotes have. Use of the N-word alone, has strong implications and is the sole reason why the media is beating him up for it. Now, I understand that African-Americans use the word all the time, and we can all agree that there is a double-standard when it comes to those “allowed” to use it. Does that make it right? No. But we live in a world of double standards and that’s the way it is.

    Your remarks of entertainers – white, black, Hispanic, Asian or other – not caring what is said because he’s an “ass,” intrigues me. When Kanye West stole the stage at the 2009 MTV Awards, during Taylor Swifts acceptance speech, claiming that Beyonce was snubbed, the media and entertainers of all races, condemned Kanye for his rude actions. Many people dislike Kanye and think he’s an ass; Why is it that in this instance many celebs (again, of all races) stood up and defended Taylor but none are doing it for the African-American community being dissed by Mr. Mayer? I don’t believe that it's because people don’t care/are immune to John Mayer’s insensitive and thoughtless quotes, I believe that it has to do with the person/group being persecuted. Disrespecting black people has somehow become allowed; and it is that fact that I take issue with.

    In regard to the ?uestlove situation, I did a bit of research and I believe you may have the details of the story confused. From what I’ve read, ?uestlove, drummer of the band The Roots, Twitpic’d an image of an NBC cafeteria menu that he thought was humorous. The menu, crafted by an African-American female chef, alluded to the fact that the food being served was in recognition of Black History Month, and proceeded to list, as you described “stereotypical” African American food.

    When questioned about the incident by New York Mag, ?uestlove states:

    “When I saw the sign I have to admit....I was DYING. Like literally LMAO!!! Maybe it was juxtaposition of the words: collard & history, jalapeno & honor, fried, black and NBC??

    Whatever the case, I found this funny and when I find something funny I like to let the world in on the joke (twitpic anyone??). In NO way did I ever think that this was some cruel insensitive joke on behalf of Jeff Zucker and his comrades at NBC (the cafeteria isn’t even owned or operated by NBC).”

    Read more: Questlove Puts NBC Menu Controversy to Bed -- Daily Intel http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/02/questlove_puts_nbc_menu_contro.html#ixzz0fob70SSy

    ?uestlove later offered an apology to the chef by presenting her with flowers and a “sizable gift certificate spa treatment with the works.”

    Personally, this doesn’t really offend me. I don’t know why he found it so funny, but I also didn’t see the menu. I also did see many mentions of this incident in my search and feel that he received comparable bad press as Mayer.

    Now, I could HATE on the chef for being a bit misguided and for taking the easy road by just offering typical southern cuisine, eaten by many races. I’m no chef, but if it were up to me, I would have offered fine cuisine from African, Caribbean and Southern U.S. culture, in an attempt to incorporate many African-based cultural foods and beverages. But that’s just me.

    Again, thanks for the comment and Keep On HATIN’

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/484347/jermanie-dupri-and-russell-simmons-give-john-mayer-a-pass.jhtml

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's work backwards! On The Questlove situation, you need to look up the video where the Chef says he personally requested the food. That's what makes me upset. You physically asked for it, the Chef does do it and wants to honor the month and makes the sign herself and then you get her in trouble and tried to create trouble where there was none. Why not be a grownup and ask her about it? Because of him, the Chef is not allowed to do that anymore, something that she tried to get NBC to let her do for years.

    John Mayer has used the n-word before. He's actually used it as his concerts when performing with black artists. Because this was in PlayBoy and it's a sinking ship, they needed something to get them back in the limelight and played up this issue.

    He also disrespects a lot of women...not just black. He has said stuff about asians and hispanics but none of them got in an uproar about it. Pick your battles. John Mayer isn't really racist he's just an ass who wants his 5 seconds of fame to last forever. There is too much racism in this world to cry about every single instance, esp when it really isnt much to begin with. If he was indeed racist trying to spread his message of racism then persecute him, he would deserve it.

    Let me state that I don't think it's right he uses the word at all. But like (cant remember his name now, but he was black) said...there's a big difference between racism and ignorance. Just because your ignorant, doesn't mean your racist.

    It was indeed a stupid thing he did. But I just dont think it should be getting the attention it is. Whereas when Don Imus made his comments, I am glad he got persecuted. He meant what he said and is an old world racist.

    The Kanye vs Taylor/John vs African American Community isnt apples to apples. Taylor could have been black, asian, hispanic...and the world would have uproared about it because, simply put, she's a celebrity. Also, let's not forget the Kanye and Taylor thing has nothing to do with race. A lot of black entertainers supported Kanye...a lot of them never outright condemned his actions but said vague statements like "we hope Kanye get's through this, sad situation for Kanye" etc. And the ones who condemnded him....half of them couldnt have cared less, but it got them an interview and kept them in the limelight so they read what their publicist had to say.

    Now has disrespecting black people become something that is ok in our culture today? Yes, but keep in mind black people as a whole need to stop doing it to theirselves (this excludes comedy) and also distinguish between racism and ignorance. It seems every week the black community voices their opinion about another situation they deem racist....do you hear this from the hispanic community? asians? etc? No...they pick their battles and become strong from within. Use a situation that is truly going to further your agenda, not make it seem like you cry wolf every 5 seconds. Because when you do that, people stop listening to you and then when you do have a real issue, sadly, no one will hear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous,
    I LOVE that you are so passionate about this subject and I apologize for the delay in responding to your comment (have had Blogger issues with commenting but hopefully I, with the help of the good people at Google/Blogger have figured it out). I will try to keep my comments brief, but felt I owed you an elaboration.

    ?uestlove and the sign situation:
    I did search for the video you described above and found one on Perez Hilton’s website (link: http://perezhilton.com/2010-02-05-nbc-cook-speaks) that described, what I believe you saw. In it, the chef, Leslie Calhoun, makes no mention of ?uestlove requesting anything. I see where you’re coming from, if ?uestlove did ask for it, but I have not seen any report that makes such claims. Maybe this isn’t the video you saw, and if you have the link please share it, but I find it hard to believe that in the NBC cafeteria, patrons, who weren’t NBC execs or decision makers, could request or even control what the cook decided to make. Again, I feel the chef was a bit misguided with her food selection, but applaud her efforts in trying to bring diversity into the meals prepared at NBC.

    I too fear, that as a result of the initial backlash NBC felt, due to a misunderstanding, this situation could ultimately deny any further diversifying of the menu. Maybe we, as NBC viewers or even people who work there, should get a petition together and request that they include culturally diverse foods throughout the year, that includes Asian cuisine, French cuisine, Spanish cuisine, etc. I’m curious to hear your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, as for John Mayer…
    You say African Americans should “pick their battles,” that Hispanics and Asians “they pick their battles and become strong from within,” my response to that is taken from the great Martin Luther King Jr. who states “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” Wrong is wrong, no matter what nationality or color, referring to a people in a derogatory manner is wrong. The way, I think, a group who is constantly discriminated against, can, as you call it, “become strong from within” is by fighting those injustices. There is only so many times one can “turn the other cheek.”

    Also, I think you give Asians and Hispanics too much credit, in terms of “picking their battles.” I believe that these two very strong ethnic groups fight derogatory statements said about them every day. I don’t just believe it, I know it. The difference between when they fight and when African Americans fight, has little to do with frequency and more to do with news coverage. You should ask yourself, if John Mayer said “guidos,” “spics” or any other racially insensitive slur, would the media have picked it up and ran with it? Most likely, the answer is NO. Those harmful words, although terrible, do not come with the pain, stigma and potential entertainment value that the n-word does. Asians and Hispanics, many times, take their fight to court or obtain publicity on a more local circuit. When African Americans gather for even a small cause, it makes headline news. This portrayal by the media only makes African Americans seem like their cry of “RACISM” is never ending and that they’re all but too happy to “play the race card,” when that couldn’t be farther from the truth. I truly believe that everyone just wants a level playing field; to be treated as equals. Why can’t this be achieved?

    Also, have you ever considered, that with African Americans fighting many battles of injustice, as it relates to race and social equality, that others ethnicities, such as Hispanics and Asians may NOT have to fight those same battles?; that a win, for whatever the situation, can be a win for all. Food for thought.

    I mentioned in my response back to you, and in the initial post, that “disrespecting black people has somehow become allowed,” and wholeheartedly agree that much of the fault falls on their own shoulders, but in this instance, this right now, is reason to fight; and those closest to the situation, i.e. those in the entertainment business, don’t (or won’t) step up to say that it’s wrong. What he said was wrong.

    I also maintain that I don’t believe he’s a racist; he is completely ignorant, which, to me, is still inexcusable. Again, in the great words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

    Keep On HATIN'

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I saw the video on PopSugar, not 100% positive. May have been on YBF too. But the chef explained Questlove requested that meal, then she asked NBC if it was ok (something of which she asked to do for multiple years), they said fine, she posted the sign and cooked the requested meal and then became deeply hurt by Questlove's actions (twitter rant). I 100% agree that it would be awesome if NBC diversified their menu everyday, and not just on the holidays. Colleges do it, why not the workplace? I have a friend who is a chef in the Urban Outfitters corporate cafeteria and they completely encourage ethnic foods on the menu and he has a blast with it. But I can't understand why someone would take offense to foods you dang well know you love. I mean, I'd love some sushi on Chinese New Year, fried chicken and collard greens on MLK day, chicken curry on Diwali and fiestada on Cinco de Mayo...does that make me racist!?


    On the African American situation, to say that african americans fight different or more battles than any other race is naive (not saying you said this). But speaking as an outsider, non african american, when they fight their battles they fight them alone. To a point where it's insulting to other races. Like you are the only one who suffers these injustices. Like you are the only race that has suffered slavery, racism, being the butt of jokes. I think this is what upsets a lot of other races.

    As sad as it may be, racism will never go away. It just won't. And I encourage the good fight. But pick your battles, this also extends to many of the battles that are chosen have nothing to do with race but yet somehow it gets thrown in and you wonder why people call it "pulling the race card." Good example would be the Badu video. People are saying she got fined because she's black. I read the best comment ever on a blog...the person said their white friend wondered if blacks ever thought about how it would feel if a white person did what she did where MLK got shot. You'd be demanding retribution. Better yet, what does race have to do with it!!?? NOTHING! You can't just go stripping in public places...not only did she break the law, but you forced your vision on young, impressionable children. I applaud the point she was trying to make, but it could have been made just as easily with a green screen, not in the public streets in front of children.

    Ok I have strayed way off the path. Let's just say I agree with diversity and Mayer is a douche :)

    ReplyDelete