Thursday, December 17, 2009

12 Days of Hatin’… I mean, Christmas


In continuing with the holiday spirit, my gift to you this year, good HATERS, is the gift of HATERATION (surprise, surprise). Seeing that we are around the twelfth day before Christmas, it seems only befitting that I give you good tidings of HATER-Joy.

Let the Twelve Points of HATIN’ commence…

#12. People trying to take Christ out of Christmas
Now, usually, I don’t get into religion and ones belief system, because I feel that everyone has the right to worship or believe in any and everything they deem worthy of believing in. I may not see eye-to-eye with their given beliefs, but I certainly respect it. So, with that being said, I’m HATIN' on people who take CHRIST out of CHRISTMAS.

Brief history… The Christmas holiday, or, to be more exact, Christmas Day is an annual holiday, celebrated on December 25 by members (and non-members) of the Christian faith, that commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Celebratory customs include gift-giving and special church services to commemorate God's greatest gift given to the people of the world, the gift of the savior Jesus Christ.

Now, I won’t get into the complete commercialization of this beloved holiday, including Santa, tree decoration and such, because there is just not enough time. But, seeing that we all have an understanding of Christmas and its initial celebratory intent, may I ask why people are trying to take Christ out of Christmas?

I just don’t understand.

Taking the concept of Christ out of Christmas, is like taking Veterans out of Veteran’s Day… or like removing Columbus from Columbus Day. You basically have nothing to honor or celebrate. Saying Xmas just doesn’t seem quite right, now, does it?

I’m so tired of people trying to insert political correctness into things and situations that are not political. This is a faith-based holiday and should be treated as such. If you do not wish to take part in it, that’s your choice. But stop removing the meaning from the holiday, for your own selfish reasons.

This passage from, actor, author and lawyer, Ben Stein says it all,

“I have no freaking clue who Nick and Jessica are. I see them on the cover of People and Us constantly when I am buying my dog biscuits and kitty litter…Who are they? Why are they so important? …

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas trees. It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, "Merry Christmas" to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat. Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship Nick and Jessica and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him?I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to.”

Get with the program people

I’M HATIN’

#11. Retail Stores that Impress You with GREAT Christmas Advertising, But SUCK at actually selling you what was advertised

This Means You, Gap, Inc.

I’m HATIN’ on the fact that we are bombarded and inundated with retail commercial, after retail commercial, convincing us that we need everything from new cable neck, cashmere sweaters to Wii gaming consoles. What kills me most is that when we finally give in and head out, combating the mass of crazed crowds, to shop at the desired retail outlet, the store fails to deliver.

We hear “What’s on the rack (or pile of crap on the floor) is what we have in stock,” or “We have a NO RETURN policy. Would you like store credit?,” and of course, my personal favorite, “The advertised price is only applicable on the third Tuesday of December between 12:00pm and 12:15pm.”

Whatever happened to the concept of Customer Service, or that old saying, “The Customer is always right”?

Fa-La-La-La-La, HATIN’!

#10. Greed and Selfishness
This is self explanatory and runs rampant during the holiday season.

#9. Everybody Suddenly has a Cause.
On the flip side of selfishness, it seems as though everyone you know, now, all of a sudden, has a cause they want you to donate to or support.

It’s not enough that the Salvation Army Santa follows you into every store, ringing his bell, waiting to see if you get a little bit of change for his red bucket, but now, you have to give to all of your friends and acquaintances charity of choice.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I am completely FOR giving to charity, but it seems that donation requests are at an all time high, during this time of year and people don’t quite understand that we just can’t give to everybody’s charity.

Word to the wise for those seeking donations: Start early and make your requests known in July.

Seriously.

#8. Generic Christmas Cards
C’mon people. If you’re going to take the time to pick out the cards, buy postage and mail them out, at least, take a little extra time to throw in a personal touch. It makes a difference.

I personally like e-cards. They’re cost effective, require no postage and can be customized to the intended recipients. A generic card, with your stamped signature (shame, you didn’t even sign it yourself) is not well received and is a waste of your time and money.

#7. The conspiracy of Food Retailers and Fitness Facilities to Get You Fat and Resolve You Thin.
It’s no coincidence that you see a plethora of food commercials every day after Thanksgiving, and up until the day after Christmas. Nor is it a coincidence that you see absolutely no fitness or gym advertisements during the same period, only starting up right before the New Year.

Why is this, you ask?

The food retailers prompt you to overindulge and buy their products, and when they’ve successfully fattened you up, pawn you off to the gym Nazi’s to gobble up the rest of your money (a.k.a. whip you back into shape). They know you’ll spend top dollar to eat… and then top dollar to take it off.

Gym membership numbers skyrocket in January and most gyms oversell memberships knowing that a very high percentage of people will not even use them.

You have officially been tag-teamed… and you didn’t even see it coming.

HATE on it!



Stay Tuned for HATIN' Points #6-#1... It will be the Best Part of Your Holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment